OWL Facilitator Training
OWL Training is available for either:
- Grades 7-9/10-12
- Young Adult/Adult
Schedule and Location
- Schedule: Friday, April 17, 2015 at 4:00 pm through Sunday, April 19 at 2:00 pm.
- Location: LaQuinta Inn in Boone, NC. Nearby airports include Charlotte Douglas and Piedmont Triad.
OWL trainers expect that all registrants will be present for the entire training. They have found that coming late and leaving early is disruptive to the group building process and can hinder work that is to be done in small groups. We therefore encourage participants to stay overnight both nights.
Basics for the training schedule are as follows:
- Friday check in between 3:00 and 3:30 PM, followed by instruction beginning at 4:00, dinner at 6:00 and instruction continuing from 6:45 to 9:00 PM
- Saturday instruction from 8:30 AM to 9:00 PM – with breaks
- Sunday instruction from 8:30 AM to 2:00 PM – with breaks
- Youth: June Grubb & Thomas Hartnett
- Adult: Joy Cobb & Mark Huffman
Registration is open until March 27, 2015 or until capacity is reached (18 per session), whichever comes first.
- Download and print the Registration Form. Mail a completed form with your check asap to reserve your spot!
- Check payable to “BUUF” (Boone Unitarian Universalist Fellowship)
- Mail Registration Form & Check to : Allison Rollans, DRE, BUUF, 381 E. King St., Boone, NC 28607
Participants (potential facilitators) should be 24 years of age or older & approved by sponsoring congregation or organization listed on participant’s Registration Form. Congregations and/or organizations sponsoring OWL programs assume full responsibility for appropriate screening (background checks, etc.) of potential facilitators prior to delivery of their program. Sponsors for this training (Boone Unitarian Universalist Fellowship, High Country United Church of Christ and “Sponsoring Committee”) bear no responsibility for screening of participants in this training.
The fee for this training is $380 which covers the training, room (shared, two queens) and board with the exception of Saturday evening dinner on your own. Single rooms at La Quinta are available upon request for an additional $130. (Out of town participants are encouraged to stay at LaQuinta at a cost of $65 per night. Local participants are encouraged to consider this option as well. Fee for local participants not needing/desiring lodging is $250.) There are neither discounts nor refunds for missing any part of the program.
OWL Curriculum Required
Participants must bring their own copies of OWL Curriculum (Choose appropriate manual(s) for your training – Adult, Young Adult, Grade 7-9 or 10-12) and companion books on Sexuality and Faith and Advocacy for Human Sexuality and Justice (recommended but not required). A 25% Discount for OWL Training Participants! Call 800-537-3394 – Prices listed below are before discount:
- OWL Adult – $60 Sexuality & Our Faith (Adult) – $8
- OWL Young Adult – $40 Sexuality & Our Faith (Young Adult) – $18
- OWL Grades 7-9, 2nd Edition – $75 Sexuality & Our Faith (Grades 7-9) – $18
- OWL Grades 10-12 – $60 Sexuality & Our Faith (Grades 10-12) – $18
- Advocacy for Human Sexuality and Justice – $12
Communicate with your Director of Religious Education (or equivalent) regarding these books. If your church does not already own their own copies, they may be ordered by calling 800-537-3394 or through the UCC Website or the UUA Bookstore. You may share the books with other members on your congregational team.
- Registration deadline is Friday, March 27, 2015 at 12 noon.
- Cancellation prior to the registration deadline will be subject to a $25 handling fee.
- Cancellations made after the registration deadline but a week or more before the training will be subject to a $150 fee, unless a replacement is arranged, in which case a $25 handling fee still applies.
- Refunds for cancellations made within the week prior to the training will be given only under extreme circumstances and at the discretion of the district staff. There is no penalty for finding someone to replace you if you cannot come.
For More Info about OWL
Allan Johnson, Sponsoring Committee – Boone, NC OWL Training, firstname.lastname@example.org.